For the past week I've spent all my free online time following the stock market. I've recently taken a keen interest in my future -- primarily my old age future. When I'm not glued to a streaming ticker I'm researching one of the stocks I hold or one that I'm interested in trading. I honestly never thought I'd enjoy this as much as I have. It's exhilarating and satisfying all at the same time.
My favorite vested stocks this past week were NABI & BPA both of which are pharmaceutical companies with interesting product lines. At one point I was up $600(+) on Nabi and then it started to fall -- AGAIN. I got into this company after it dropped over 70% in one day. I sold out a good deal of my (tiny) investment and still came out $400 ahead. (GO POOKIE!) I'm keeping a smaller amount of Nabi for the long term and may even grab some more depending on what happens Monday. Now BPA has been great. I've made a 33% return on this puppy from the beginning and plan on holding. I wish I'd bought much more of this one. But my best result of the week was buying into an industrial stock RTI and well below $30 per share and selling at $34.60. Whoopee! Now if you think I'm playing with big $$$ you are so wrong. I've invested no more than $2,500. See? The little guy can make a few extra dollars with some research and perseverance. My goal is to take all (any?) profits at the end of the month and roll into my safe & sound mutual fund and keep investing with my initial cash. Wish me luck. Pookie & T need something to fall back on when we get old & gray. (OK, OLD maybe but so long as I still have hair to be colored it will NOT be gray)
Currently on the top of my research is: JBLU, the only airline to turn a profit.
On to something of interest:
* The in-laws are coming in Sunday evening. So far we know what they don't want to do or see while here but no clue as to what we can all do of mutual interest during their visit. I work one of the days so poor T will be on his own keeping them entertained.
* Work has been pretty low key this week. Nothing too exciting to report other than "nursing new mommy" was released from her duties and another close friend with MUCH more personality and menopause behind her is now on the team. So far it's been great. I work with her today and anytime I'm with her it's a load of fun.
* Any day I'll get the final invoice on our February cruise. I'm so ready for this trip. 7 nights on a great ship in the Eastern Caribbean. This year we book a cabin with a balcony and are planning some pretty cool excursions. My mom & sister booked a cabin as well so this should be a fun family trip. Can't wait!
* Our first official tax bill arrived this week on the new house. It wasn't as bad as we thought but I pity the poor folks who bought in the development after us. We got in about 80K below what the homes are starting at now and their taxes will be a helluva lot worse. The taxes will only rise from here for future buyers as the prices of the homes rise every month. Damn glad we were able to get in when we did.
* tomorrow is going to be a busy day for me prior to the in-laws arriving. I have got to get all the summer clothes out of my closets and swap out for fall/winter clothes. This is a major ordeal that I should have started a long time ago. The upside is that I get to see all those cool new cool weather clothes I bought off the sales rack at the end of the season last year. It will be like shopping! Hell, I don't remember 1/2 of what I have so it'll be like Christmas. And that added bonus of being able to hide a multitude of sins under layered clothing.
* Product plug for today: With the cooler weather here I'm all about a scent that reflects my "fall mood". I already know that today I'll be wearing Romeo Gigli . It's an oldie but a classic. Every time I wear it it makes me think of the mountains and a cool breeze. I'm also seeing myself in a pair of khakis and a great Boss sweater I got off the clearance rack at Saks. I will be the epitome of the fall man today.
Chaste hugs & air kisses!