7.13.2005

I was tagged and I like it

Recently I discovered a wonderful blog, Gran's on Bran. The site owner is a wonderful writer, a genuine person, and someone I could see myself sitting with for hours over coffee sharing stories and learning. I found this "tag" thingie on her blog and accepted the mass invite to be "tagged" in the closing line of her post. I encourage anyone who bothers reading this to do the same.

What I was doing ten years ago:

I was living in Atlanta with my wonderful T . We would have just moved into a lovely flat and I was preparing to tackle another major renovation of an older apartment complex near Emory University. At that time that's what I did as a career. I managed, renovated, and helped sell apartment complexes. I made very, very good money doing this. Quite honestly I was extremely good at what I did. One of the best in the business at that time I imagine. At the time I was still a wild young thing at the time so on any given night after work I was usually in bar drinking, snorting something, dancing, surrounding myself with beautiful people, and being "fabulous". I was one of the pretty ones who lived for the moment and lived to see and be seen. While it was fun at the moment it was also rather sad. Looking back I couldn't have been very happy or I'd have spent a lot more time soul searching... doing something productive. I can't say I regret much of anything I did as I wasn't hurting anyone (other than myself) and everything one does in their past makes them who they ultimately become. But I'd love to have some of the money today I spent back then on party favors. (My wardrobe would be even more fabulous!) I was one of the lucky ones who didn't didn't end up in a glamour rehab facility or lose my boyfriend because of infidelity. No, I always knew when to stop the party and always remained faithful in my relationship. I cannot say the same of some of my friends at that time. Some of the beautiful ones didn't fare as well as I did. It was sheer luck on my part.

5 years ago:

I was now living in Florida. I had just closed a VERY unprofitable gift shop and art gallery I owned. I was strangled with debt, depression, and despair. A sibling was involved in a very nasty separation that ripped the family apart -- this went on for 3 years! I lived next door to a reprehensible family whose goals in life were to ruin the property value of every other home in the neighborhood. The husband was the Latin version of Fred Sanford. His wife was a screaming bitch. Their poor children had no choice but to be obnoxious and tacky. Oh, how I hated these people. I could devote an entire blog to what miserable excuses of human life they were. Needless to say this was the lowest point of my life. I still can't regret it though because it was part of the life process that molded me into who I am today. It sucked getting out of this rut but I damn sure learned how to appreciate the little things in life during this period. My whole outlook on life was changed and for that I am grateful. In essence I grew up.

1 year ago:

I was knee deep in brilliant new project that I adored and still adore. I was working with people who I respect, admire, and enjoy. My talents were (and still are) being utilized and I was beginning to thrive emotionally and financially. One year ago T and I were living in a rental home (far away from the neighbors from hell). We'd sold and made a wonderful profit on the first house and were blessed to be building in THE neighborhood in THE part of town. Mind you it was not without problems due to hurricanes every other week and countless delays in the building process but it was SO worth the wait.

Yesterday:

I spent the day going back and forth to my home office to read blogs :-) I've become acquainted with some bright, wonderful people via blogging and I love checking their updates. I also got the final spray tan before the SF trip, watched Big Brother 6, finished a book (romance of course) and didn't pack a damn thing which means I have to do it all today before we leave. Crap.

5 snacks I enjoy:

Baked Cheetos, Fat-Free Premium Saltines and sharp cheddar, Peanut Butter Toast Crunch cereal, Cocoa Pebbles cereal, Little Debbie Swiss Rolls

5 songs I know all the words to:

Coal Miners Daughter - Loretta Lynn, Windy - The Association, Wild World - Tea For The Tillerman, Bizarre Love Triangle - New Order, I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor

5 Things I would do with $100 million:

make substantial donations to various charities (the Democratic Party being first), make my plastic surgeon even wealthier, buy a home up North to escape the heat in Florida, write..publish..and promote my own novel, invest to keep it growing

5 locations I would like to run away to:

(vacation would be more like it) London, Rome, France, Denmark, Russia

5 bad habits I have:

smoking, not exercising enough, biting my nails, procrastinating, drinking too much caffeine

5 things I would never wear:

socks with sandals, a wife beater, pants so baggy my underwear shows, gold teeth, cheap cologne

5 Biggest joys of the moment:

my T, going to San Francisco (today), my mom being alive and well, a great new hair cut, a perfect tan (spray on of course)

5 Favorite toys:

my T, a remote control, the internet via my new computer, my shower massage (don't ask), a stuffed bear my Lab plays with (just he's just too damn cute with it)

(This line stolen from Doris) I tag...Anyone who is reading this! Think about doing it, it really isn't so hard and was actually fun :-)

1 comment:

Doris said...

I'm sure we would have good ole laugh and chin wag. I like my coffee either latte or thickest black. No in-between!

I particularly loved reading about what you were up to and your take on it. But I won't say more because aren't you supposed to be packing? See you when you get back :-)